Friday, July 11, 2008

A Little Music

KFDI Listener Appreciation Show at Koch Arena- Wichita, Kansas

I don’t consider myself a country fanatic, but I’ll admit: I do have a couple pre-sets in my car tuned to country stations. Occasionally I break into song…And I know all the words to every Tanya Tucker song… Ahem, sorry. I’m by no means a red neck woman, but I certainly wanted to bust out the cowboy boots after my experience at the 37th Annual KFDI Listener Appreciation Show. Especially after seeing Rodney Atkins from the angle I did.

I played the role of photographer assistant and hence was able to see the concert from an entirely different perspective than I’m used to. I was backstage, directly in front of the stage and hell, I was even on stage at one point. There were no limits to where I could go, so I took advantage. Of course I was assisting photographer Dustin Craig the best I could, but with the performers so close, it was tough not to stop and admire.

The show began with Jimmy Wayne, whose good looks got the girls a-screamin’. He sang his hit, “Stay Gone,” a few others and then gave way to sister trio Carter’s Cord. They smiled sweetly, talked about breaking up with boyfriends and then writing a song about it, and how much they like their boss, who just happens to be Toby Keith. They’ve signed with his record label, Show Dog Nashville and they’re cute, I won’t lie. Their new song, “Young Love” sounds great, too

The meet and greet with Rodney Atkins was the epitome of a close up. In the SASO Room at Koch Arena, he signed autographs and wished a young girl happy birthday to her absolute delight.

Then it was time for Atkins to take the stage, and that he did. Energetic and involved, he interacted with the crowd as if Wichita were the only place in the world he wanted to be. We believed him! He started off with “These Are My People,” continued with “Cleaning This Gun,” “Watching You,” and “If You’re Goin Through Hell.” Of course he included his new single, “Invisibly Shaken.”

The best part, for me at least, was when I was crouching in front of the stage being helpful and available for Dustin. Rodney came to the edge of the platform; literally right on top of me, turned around to face his band, and shook his butt! Those jeans must have been difficult to get into, but I’m not complaining. Neither was any other girl in the Round House that night.

No comments: