Monday, December 8, 2008

Football Loving Ladies

To all of us ladies out there who love NFL football: Hell yea!

I have been a Denver Bronco's loving lady for years and years. I give credit to my dad since he's been a fan since the beginning of time. But as I grew up and developed my own likes and dislikes, the Broncos remained one of my stronger likes and I'm now a full-fledged super-fan. I don't know the responsibilities of every single position, and occasionally have to ask my husband about a ruling on the field, but I have pretty exclusive general knowledge on this sport which I didn't grow up playing.

I don't even play it now... but usually those are the circumstances under which I know everything about a sport. I was extremely lucky when I married Paul; another passionate Denver fan. Although our lives haven't exactly lead us to Denver, we've seriously considered it and haven't ruled it out for the future. I'm the only one of the six girls in my closest circle who follow the NFL. Granted three of the others follow college ball since they attended Kansas State University, but it's just not the same. I haven't run across many female NFL lovers in my experience, and I also encounter some skepticism from the dudes when they hear that I not only write about sports, work at The Golf Warehouse, and have a huge not-so-secret crush on Jay Cutler. They look at me with raised eyebrows until they hear what I have to say, and then they might, just maybe, give me a little credit. It's usually not until I mention a pick-six that they accept my knowledge and start using football lingo around me. But that's okay. I typically get along with guys easier than girls, so I've learned how to make them comfortable with that fact.

I love our household: when the game's on nothing else around my house gets done. Instead of me telling my husband that it's okay for him to watch the game with a beer on the couch while I make dinner, we're side by side with our jersey's on, screaming at every first down and debating every call. We don't answer the phone because we want to give this team our undivided attention. Yup, that's my passion! It might seem weird to some that I'm a jersey wearin, cuss-word screamin, ass slappin football fan on Sunday, and on Monday I step into my stilettos and play businesswoman, like the transition is only natural. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: