Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making it as a Freelance Writer

Although "Freelance Writing" is technically half of my profession, I'm wondering what it will take to make it my full-time career. It takes a lot of self-promoting, and recently I've discovered hundreds of others who are aiming to do the exact same thing. In the midst of this realization, I came across some soul-searching questions. Once I break into the industry, how much monetary potential is there, really? Is an on-line portfolio honestly that important? Finally, is my dream of working from home full-time unrealistic? In this post I'll attempt to explore each of these questions to give not only myself but other writers insight as to how it all works.

A general google search landed me on Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen's blog, where she has skillfully combined two very intriguing topics into one article: Twitter and Freelance Writing. This is part of what overwhelmed me- I realized that there are so many other people out there who have the same intentions I have (boosting popularity of my own blog using social media just to get my name out there); how am I possibly going to set myself apart from the masses? I mean, it can only be done so many ways, and good writing can be found increasingly more often these days, it seems. Before long, agents and editors will have seen it all. What then?

I read on a mediabistro.com discussion board that publishing jobs are in decline and you can't expect to make $50K in your first year out of school like you might be able to in other industries. I'm farther out of school than one year, but I've only recently decided that freelance writing is my destiny. Don't tell me I've missed my chance! So after panicking slightly, I read on. Apparently the only way to survive in this industry is to take writing into your own hands and generate income. *Sigh of relief.* But it still doesn't tell me how. Apparently experienced freelance writers are not incredibly willing to share their secrets of success, unless of course, you want to pay $300 for a class or e-course, which at this point, I don't. I understand where they're coming from, though, because this experience is not easy to obtain, and if they had to work their butts off to find success, why shouldn't everyone else? Through monitoring discussion boards and asking a few questions of my own, I stumbled upon some answers.

Trade magazines. As far as breaking into a freelance career goes, this seems to be a good place to look for work. There is less competition and they often pay the same as other mags. The chance for a steady flow of work is greater because once the trade editors see that you understand the magazine from a business point of view as opposed to a consumer's standpoint they're more likely to hire you again and again. Finally, you don't have to worry about your work being edited 18 different times by an editorial board. At some pubs the finished product isn't at all what you started out with. I found a particularly helpful interview with Pat Curry here.

Now, I'm going to bite my tongue before I reveal the next piece of advice I found partly because I just criticized experienced writers for not giving up their secrets. However in the small market that is Wichita, KS, I'm going to first explore my options in writing for local businesses and then tell you how it goes. Actually, doing it that way will allow me to provide more helpful information anyway. This will be interesting because a sales person I am not. I am much more comfortable behind the scenes (which is why I WRITE), but is there a place in this industry for my personality? I do know that some writers have done business by communicating entirely through e-mail; this is very appealing and convenient for me. Update later. :)

Now, to get to the ever popular idea of social media as a means of networking. Freelancers everywhere want to know if having profiles on Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn are really that imperative to finding new work. So far, the consensus seems to be that while LinkedIn is strictly professional, networks such as Facebook and MySpace serve a social gratification purpose; that is, not much work actually comes from them. However, if used correctly (keeping personal information to a minimum and befriending only those who might directly benefit your cause) could put you in touch with someone who might someday need the services you provide. As for me, I plan on beefing up this blog a little, utilizing my LinkedIn profile more often, and keeping up with my Twitter friends. After all, you're more likely to be recommended by a friend because people trust people they know. In addition, the whole world is online and while the age-old tradition of face-to-face lunching might be going by the wayside, much networking is done via the web.

Finally, I have wondered if a full-time freelancing career from my home will really pay the bills. It's all about how much time and energy you spend marketing yourself. One freelancer makes $250K writing freelance, speaking, and teaching classes. While I don't necessarily think that's the exact route I'll take in pursuing my dream, it's certainly comforting to know that serious money is indeed possible.

In today's economy, publications everywhere are cutting back. As I explore the ins and outs of freelancing, I'll continue to update on the tricks I learn, the truths I discover, and the hardships I encounter. I'll also be sure to pass along names of those individuals I find particularly helpful along the way. It's a learning experience for all, but I'm bound and determined to reach my goals of freelancing full-time from my home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to me in your post, Kristin! Your dream of working from home full-time is definitely possible, but it takes time, dedication, and a thick skin. I started part-time and after 8 months, jumped into freelancing full-time. It's feast or famine...but if you're strategic, you're feasting more often :-)

Good luck, and keep in touch.

Laurie

Unknown said...

I think that, for the time being, you and I want to do similar things and we are both facing a poor economy in a struggling local market. I'm exploring some opportunities that you may want to look into. If you can make good videos, YouTube will give you ad revenue. Even if you don't qualify for the revenue sharing program, your voice will reach an audience across the world. Also there are sites you can write for, that don't offer any cash. That's a letdown, but any internet writing has a shot at reaching the right people who could hire you.